Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cue Depressing Music

Unemployment is quite possibly the second worst thing that has ever happened to me. I feel completely useless. At this point, I can't even tell you how many resumes I've sent in, how many cover letters I've revised or how many times I've wanted to scream at the unemployment online filing system.

Some of my friends think I have it made. They say "oh, it must be nice to sleep in!" or "Man, what I wouldn't give to have some time off." Well let me clear the air about what unemployment feels like. IT SUCKS. Just because I get a check once a week, doesn't mean I'm not constantly worried about everything. This check pays nothing. And if I get a part-time job to help support myself, then I won't receive unemployment anymore. Dear State of Virgina: I can't pay my rent on what little you offer, please let me get a part-time job too!

I know this makes me sound like a total snob, but I can't believe that I'm going to have to work two jobs just to buy groceries when I'm only a few months from getting my master's and I already have almost 5 years of experience. There's just nothing available. And what is available, doesn't seem to want me. When I first started this blog I said I was having trouble figuring out who I am. Well, now it's ten times worse, because now I don't even feel like I'm worth anything. I don't seem to be able to offer anyone anything, judging by the lack of any calls about my resume.

Le sigh.

No comments: