Thursday, February 19, 2009

Becoming My Parents...

I grew up rather poor. We're talking empty refrigerators, food stamps, sometimes we didn't even have a home.

Things changed for me when my grandparents adopted me and took me into their home. My grandmother has her master's in English and my grandfather was a retired steel worker. I began to have a normal middle class life.

I went on to college, graduated with a degree in journalism, moved out to the East Coast, got a descent job, then switched jobs to accommodate part-time graduate school. Everything was going great, up until I got fired and began to question everything.

I haven't been able to find a new job. I'm starting to question if I'll ever find something in the professional world again, considering I've been sending out at least 2 to 3 resumes a week since September and have only gotten one in-face interview. It looks like it's going to be a couple of part-time jobs in order to just start helping my boyfriend with the rent.

The rent. We want a new apartment. We're in a studio with literally no where to sit but the bed or one desk chair. Everything else is covered in boxes. There's just no room. Can't get the one-bedroom because I need a pay stub. I feel worthless.

No comments: