Thursday, February 5, 2009

I've Been A Long Time Gone...

I know it's been awhile and I apologize to my readers. The unemployment thing got the best of me for a little while. I didn't get the aforementioned job. Boo. Dealing with the unemployment office, moving into my boyfriend's studio apartment and going home for Christmas caused a great deal of stress. I'm assuming writing probably would have helped, but it was the last thing I felt like doing.

However, that has changed. I recently got back from an 11 day trip to the British Virgin Islands. Before this trip, though I am an avid traveler, I really never cared if I ever made it to the Caribbean islands or not. But now that I've been, I'll forever be an advocate. These islands renewed my desire to write. The colors of the water, the people and their smiles, the food and its flavors, were all simply amazing.

If you ever find yourself in the area, please, Please, PLEASE, visit Mrs. Scatliffe's restaurant in Carrot Bay on the island of Tortola. This woman literally laid the foundation of her house/restaurant with gravel her family gathered from a nearby road. She cooks all of the restaurants meals herself and uses only ingredients from her humble farm. Here I had my first taste of breadfruit soup and a conversation with a woman I will never forget. Her simplicity and love for people made me realize that life just doesn't have to be complicated to be happy.

We can all learn a little lesson there.

No comments: